Waterproofing foundations

Old 10-02-04, 07:56 AM
Rickle
Visiting Guest

I have a crawl space thatís 2 to 4 1/2 feet high with every hard rain I can see water trickling through the wall under the house. When the house was built it looks like they dug a trench along the inside of the foundation and put a small concrete pipe for the water to drain out. That was thirty three years ago and now the mold and mildew is growing strong and driving me out of my house. Thereís no damage, that I can see. Just the odor.
While I know a french drain around the out side would be best I was wondering if I could use Dry-loc on the interior walls instead of the french drain. I know that using dry-loc on the inside would still allow water to get into the brick, is that a problem? Actually I don't know if dry-loc would even work for this situation.
Need some advice on a solution.
Thanks.
--Rick--

Old 10-02-04, 09:52 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
To keep water out, you must keep it away. Downspouts on clean gutters to direct water away from the house, grading to move water away from the house, a french drain system to move water away from the house. These things in this order should be implemented prior to trying a sealant such as Dry-Loc.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-03-04, 10:19 AM
Rickle
Visiting Guest
How deep should the french drain be below the footing? How high should I bring up the rock? Some one told me to bring the rock all the way up to ground level, is that nessesary? I need to plan this out and do it quickly because if it rained while in the process it would be a disaster as my basement is also flooding. The way the lot is, there really is no way to keep the water away from the house. During a really good rain it flows from the steet through the driveway straight into the house, then I also catch it from my neighbors yard again right into the house. That much water can never be diverted, so it will have to be water proofed.
--Rick

Old 10-04-04, 03:21 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
there really is no way to keep the water away
There must be. Waterproofing will not solve the problem with a sealer.

French drains normally have a layer of topsoil over the landscape fabric wrap. Three inches should do it.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-05-04, 10:41 AM
fixMeUpper
Visiting Guest
How far from foundation

We get water in our basement and the landscape does not slope away from our foundation. We are considering adding a concrete patio across the front of the home (water sometimes comes in through the foundation in the front). Will the concrete patio help our water problem - if so - how far out would it need to go out from the foundation to sufficiently divert the water? We were thinking 10 feet?

Old 10-16-04, 11:44 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

Waterproofing materials will not solve issues with water penetrating foundations. As indicated, clear gutters and downspouts that carry water far out into yard are important and tend to resolve most problems with water entering foundation. Avoid splash guards because they don't carry water far enough away from foundation.

Soil must be sloped away from foundation to carry away runoff. If it is not obvious how this should be done, you can consult with a landscape engineer. A concrete patio across the front of the house that is 10 feet deep will be expensive. The cost of concrete today has risen along with the cost of other building products. From the perspective of landscaping, such a patio would not seem to be very aesthetic. An improperly installed patio could compound moisture problems. Digging up around foundation, installing drains, and properly sealing exterior foundation walls with waterproofing product tends to solve severe moisture issues.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: