foundation bricks

Old 10-11-04, 09:47 AM
Shrekfan
Visiting Guest
Question foundation bricks

Hello,

I live in a townhome that was built in 1981. It is a slab foundation and there are bricks around edges where the exterior walls are built. In some of the bricks, especially around the corners, the bricks are badly decomposed below the soil line. Is this common and what is the best way to address it. Thanks in advance for any info regarding this.

Victoria

Old 10-15-04, 04:32 AM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shrekfan
Hello,

I live in a townhome that was built in 1981. It is a slab foundation and there are bricks around edges where the exterior walls are built. In some of the bricks, especially around the corners, the bricks are badly decomposed below the soil line. Is this common and what is the best way to address it. Thanks in advance for any info regarding this.

Victoria

Bricks should not be below the soil line.

There are necessary weep holes at the base of these bricks and acids in soil and ground water can damage them.

You need to remove the soil that covers them then make any necessary repairs.

Old 10-15-04, 08:45 AM
Shrekfan
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I want to make sure I am explaining things right so I correctly understand the response. These bricks are foundation bricks that run along the outside of the slab. It is not a brick structure. The outside walls are built upon these bricks. I hope this makes sense. Is is still correct that they should not have soil around them?

Vicki

Old 10-16-04, 06:06 AM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not Foundational

If your townhome is built on a slab, then these bricks are decorative and NOT foundational.

Bricks are a siding 'veneer' and not typically a structural component in modern construction.

It is for this reason that the weep holes at their bottom course be maintained open so that condensed water from behind this veneer can properly drain.

Old 10-16-04, 11:45 AM
Shrekfan
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much. I am wondering how to go about fixing the bricks. Would it be ok to patch where it is worn away with cement? The bricks by our home are not in bad shape but my neighbors are very worn away. There are areas where the insulation is showing. I am guessing they put a layer of insulation between the foundation and brick. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
Victoria

Old 10-16-04, 05:41 PM
two kids
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Shrekfan
Thanks for the reply. I want to make sure I am explaining things right so I correctly understand the response. These bricks are foundation bricks that run along the outside of the slab. It is not a brick structure. The outside walls are built upon these bricks. I hope this makes sense. Is is still correct that they should not have soil around them?

Vicki

Do you mean block? Orare the actually brick? What size are they? f they re only about 3 inches high and8 inches long then they are brick ,But if they are8 inches high and 16 inches long thay re block.

One way of repair is with a stucco ,which is usually concrete mixed without gravel , mix it thin and apply generously to the block/brick evenly then take a soft brush dip it in water and run it over the stucco until it is smooth and this should take care of anymore damage

Old 10-19-04, 09:29 PM
Shrekfan
Visiting Guest
Yes, it is block, thanks for the correction. I appreciate all the info from everyone and will now fix the block.

Much Appreciated,
Victoria Livingston

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: