What type of brick to use??

Old 10-12-04, 11:01 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question What type of brick to use??

Hi everyone.. I have a very old (about 150 yrs) chimney made from red clay brick. The brick and mortar from the top 5ft of the chimney were like sand. I don't even know how it stayed standing. Anyway, I took the chimney down to about 2ft. above the attic floor and now have to rebuild the top 5ft portion that exits the roof. After I am done laying the brick, I will be installing a chimney liner so that my brick work does not directly have to hold back the furnace exhaust.

That said, when I went to the store to purchase new brick, they only had the type with hollow centers (three small holes about the size of a half dollar). The guy at the store said this will be fine and I did end up purchasing the brick. My logic was that the brick will be a lot lighter so the structure might last longer. And I'm even hoping to install rebar bars at the corners, provided the holes in the bricks line up properly.

I really just want to make sure that these bricks can withstand the weight and moderately high temperature they will be exposed to. I suppose by the time the heater exhaust hits that high in the chimney, it is not that hot. The liner should also make this less of an impact.

So, is it ok to begin installing this standard, coreless brick? Standard mortar is ok also? Thanks for any help, as I really have to get this done because it is getting cold in NJ!!

Old 10-13-04, 06:47 AM
T
Yes this types of Bricks are the standard nowadays. It maybe a little lighter (not much) the holes in the Brick will fill with mortar I would recommend a "Type S" Mortar it will stand up to the weather and time better.

Use a Portland Cement and sand Mixture on the Mud cap.

Old 10-13-04, 11:43 AM
P
Thanks so much! Nice to hear it will be ok. I really didn't feel like loading the bricks again to return them. Type S is what I got already so that is also a good thing. As for the mud cap, I think the liner kit comes with a cap that I will use. I guess I still have to use a little cement, but the cap it comes with will hopefully take the bulk of the weather.

Thanks again!

Old 10-13-04, 11:49 AM
T
The main thing is to seal the top off well. IF you have a pre-manufactured Cap that that should be fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: