what goes into a chimney?

Old 10-15-04, 07:23 AM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what goes into a chimney?

I need to rebuild my chimney, but don't really know what else to do while I'm starting from scratch.

I know I need a flashing, but what is a 'flute', do I need it? Anything else I should get estimates for before I start the job?

Basically my chimney needs to be rebuilt from the middle of my attic up, and I want to make sure I do it right and completely the first time so I don't have to do it again next year. The chimney is for a working fireplace.

THanks

Old 10-16-04, 12:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you need is metal or masonry (clay) flue liner, mortared together within the chimney. Match the size, shape and type that should already be built into your chimney.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 10-16-04, 06:53 PM
two kids
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by projectmaster
I need to rebuild my chimney, but don't really know what else to do while I'm starting from scratch.

I know I need a flashing, but what is a 'flute', do I need it? Anything else I should get estimates for before I start the job?

Basically my chimney needs to be rebuilt from the middle of my attic up, and I want to make sure I do it right and completely the first time so I don't have to do it again next year. The chimney is for a working fireplace.

THanks

Hey project master,

I know this is a DIY forum, but you may want to get a mason to do your chimney . You can really put your family in danger by not doing it properly. Chimneys can get really hot inside and if not properly built can cause a fire.

But if you really want to do it yourself...... then match the flue to size ( like the MOD said) then make sure you stucco around the joint of the two flues, then make sure you put plenty of fill brick around the liners.DO NOT USE BLOCK they are too weak against the heat and will disintegrate over time and leave you in danger again.

Dont be sparing with the mortar. and as you rebild the face or outside of the chimney , keep all the inside of those brick stuccoed as well.

remember you are wanting to keep as much of the heat from getting to the outside of the chimney as possible , and this will keep your fire risk down to a minimum.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 10-16-04 at 08:19 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: