windsor block fire pit

Old 10-16-04, 08:29 AM
mcrowley1
Visiting Guest
Question windsor block fire pit

I recently saw in a Lowes ad a picture of a fire pit made from landscaping blocks usually used for retaining walls (windsor blocks). The fire pit was made by placing 14 blocks in a circle then placing another row staggered on top. The pit was on a patio made from brick pavers. I was thinking about doing this on my own patio (pavers), but I'm wondering if it's that simple, or if there is a flaw in that plan that I'm not seeing. Do you think I need a more substantial base, or could I really build a fire on top of the patio pavers? Does anyone have any advice on this?

Old 10-16-04, 11:37 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lowe's usually works with the manufacturers of their products in its projects. It seems unlikely that erroneous information would be given. On the whole it seems no more complicated than the projects suggests. I don't have any first-hand knowledge otherwise.

Old 10-16-04, 05:58 PM
two kids
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by mcrowley1
I recently saw in a Lowes ad a picture of a fire pit made from landscaping blocks usually used for retaining walls (windsor blocks). The fire pit was made by placing 14 blocks in a circle then placing another row staggered on top. The pit was on a patio made from brick pavers. I was thinking about doing this on my own patio (pavers), but I'm wondering if it's that simple, or if there is a flaw in that plan that I'm not seeing. Do you think I need a more substantial base, or could I really build a fire on top of the patio pavers? Does anyone have any advice on this?

Pavers arent designed for the heat that this pit will produce, but as far as structurally I dont think it will hurt at least not for a while....but over time the heat will eventually crumble the pavers....and if you ever decide to remove/move the pit then you will definitely have to replace the pavers.

what I would do is to buY some fire brick and put 2 layers down as a base then put the pit on top of these fire brick and this will protect your padio pretty well, and if you ever get tired of the pit you could simply remove it.

Last edited by two kids; 10-17-04 at 08:24 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: