Window wells

Old 10-24-04, 01:21 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Window wells

I'm in the process of bringing basement windows up to code for emergency egress. I have a few questions:

1)I plan to cut the new window openings into the existing foundation. (I've already dug the holes for the new wells, so I have plenty of room to cut on the outside.) What's the best tool for this job? A dry cut saw, or a wet cut? The foundation walls are 6 inches think.

2) after the windows are cut out, I will be forming up to pour new window wells. (The old undersized ones were formed by using corrugated metal.) I plan to use some rebar to help tie the new wells to the existing foundation. Anything I should watch out for? any advice?

Thanks!

Old 10-24-04, 06:33 AM
T
Either a Wet or Dry Saw with a Diamond Blade will get the job done. They both will cut at about the same rate if they are operating proberly. They both will have their draw backs the the Dry Blade will be extremely dusty if in a tight spot it will be next to impossible to see what you are doing without some type or ventilation(a fan blowing the Dust will help). The Wet Blade will be wet this can be messy and if it is cold you had better put on a Rain suite. Don't forget your ear and eye protection these things are extremely loud.

Old 10-24-04, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the tips. I think the fan is a good idea if I go with the dry saw. If I go wet, I will definitely be wearing my old rain gear and cement boots. I will also be wearing a cement dust rated mask, googles, face protector, and some serious ear protection.

Either way, I'm really glad to be cutting on the outside!

Thanks again!

Old 10-31-04, 06:35 AM
Gary Jones
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Cutting concrete

If you can afford it . Have a prof, saw cutting co . If you have dug the hole and they have good acsess to them. They use a wet saw, and most co, will vacum all the water & clean up after. Might be worth the expence.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: