Cleaning Mortar From Bricks

Old 10-26-04, 12:11 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Mortar From Bricks

I recently had a fireplace built with a nice brick hearth. The builder did a poor job of cleaning the cement off the surface of the bricks. How should I go about cleaning it off?

Old 10-26-04, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Most brick layers will clean it off with a muractic acid wash

ED

Old 10-30-04, 02:29 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Remove mortar from bricks

This thread has been moved to the Bricks Forum for further discussion.

Old 10-30-04, 10:47 PM
two kids
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Most brick layers will clean it off with a muractic acid wash

ED

Actually ...if a brick mason is worth anything at all he doesnt have to clean his brick........I have laid probably 50-60 different kinds of brick and block and I have never had to clean one.

But the muriatic acid will work.....dilute it down to prolly about 10 to 1 water to acid.......and if you use acid you will lose all your warranty from the brick co. agaisnt color loss and structure failure.

I would check with the brick maker and see if they have a custom cleaner that they will still warranty.......I know they do at general shale.....you might want to contact them before using that acid.

If you do use the acid....make sure you rinse it fairly quick so it doesnt eat out the joints.....and make sure your room is well vented, this acid is highly dangerous to your lungs ( I have used it to clean my mixers) not only that dont use it around alluminum it is explosive when combined to the alluminum.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: