Repairing cracks in exterior brick

Old 11-05-04, 05:31 PM
deanae25
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Repairing cracks in exterior brick

I have a 20 year old brick home that has a few cracks in the masonry between the bricks. This has caused water to seep in and ruin the insulation and drywall in one of our bedrooms. I have removed the interior drywall and insulation and need to find the best way to repair the cracks. After repairing them, I am going to install new insulation and put in new drywall, but don't want to make these repairs until the root problem is fixed so that it does not occur again. I found some mortar patch in my hardware store. Is this the best option? After repairing cracks, I am going to seal the bricks with waterseal to help prevent any further seepage. Is this the best approach?

Old 11-05-04, 06:50 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cracks along mortar lines are usually from settling and can be repaired by tuck pointing or injecting grout. Having access from the inside allows you to repair both sides at once.

If the cracks in the exterior have allowed water to enter the building, there is certainly a problem with controlling water that has not been addressed.

How is it that the water comes to be on the exterior brick in sufficient quantity to enter through the cracks? Determining the source of the water is the first step in keeping it off of the siding. Next, keeping the water under control through the use of gutters and downspouts or other method is needed.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: