Where to find matching bricks?

Old 11-22-04, 10:10 AM
Zora7404
Visiting Guest
Where to find matching bricks?

The house was built 30 years ago so I might be SOL, but figured it was worth a shot. Any ways to try and find a match for the brick used in original construction.

Old 11-23-04, 01:41 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You might call some salvage yards. Reselling salvaged components of houses is a thriving business in many places. There may be some that concentrate on old bricks, too.

Old 11-26-04, 08:10 PM
AlansToolShed
Visiting Guest
Another possible method: Since the home is only 30 years young you may be in luck, IF the building department of your municipality maintained and kept good records. There were obviously building permits applied for and issued, and subcode officials had to make inspections and record their findings. While policy and procedure for record keeping will probably will vary from city to city, it's not unusual to find 30 year old records; sometimes simply stored away in the courthouse basement in dusty boxes, marked by year. In most states these are all public records, and can be accessed, researched and copied. There may be small fees. These records will reveal the architects, builders and contractors names; who you in turn might still be able to contact to find out what brand of brick was specified and used, and-or where it was purchased.

Old 12-11-04, 11:44 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My dad built a house in 1978. He is building another one now. He told mom he wanted her to look at brick for the new house. She said "I want the same brick we have now". "You can't get that brick anymore" dad replied. "How do you know" mom pressed...

Long story short...dad was wrong...the brick was STILL available...and the new house has the same brick.

The advantage they had is that since he build the old house, he knew the name of the brick and where it came from. Like the previous poster stated, if you can get that info, you *may* have a shot. I'm in the same boat on my 1975 house. I want to build a detached garage, but I'd like to brick it part of the way up with brick matching the house. Thankfully, I can get away with some variation, since it is detached, which may give me better odds of success.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: