building a basement

Old 12-02-04, 06:56 AM
C Bank
Visiting Guest
building a basement

I am in the process of building a basement for my home and need some information on how to build the basement walls, it is a prefabricated home. I need to pore a basemetnt floor first and then I want to build walls out of 10" x 8" x 16" blocks. I would like to know how to do this at this time of year and how do I mix the cement. I've built walls before but it was many years ago and I know that I have forgotten alot about this. The basement will be 28' x 34', in conjuction with the house being 30' x 36'. This would allow the house to sit on the walls at about/or approximately one foot all the way around. If you could help me in this matter it would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to use any contractors for the job because of the fact I have done this many times but just forgot alot.
Could someone please help
Thank you for your time in this matter.

C Bank

Old 12-02-04, 10:36 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you simply need some refreshing of concepts and such, some of the how to books at the hd or lowes store will probably provide it for you.

Old 12-04-04, 09:34 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not a DIY Project

Originally Posted by C Bank
I am in the process of building a basement for my home and need some information on how to build the basement walls, it is a prefabricated home. I need to pore a basemetnt floor first and then I want to build walls out of 10" x 8" x 16" blocks. I would like to know how to do this at this time of year and how do I mix the cement. I've built walls before but it was many years ago and I know that I have forgotten alot about this. The basement will be 28' x 34', in conjuction with the house being 30' x 36'. This would allow the house to sit on the walls at about/or approximately one foot all the way around. If you could help me in this matter it would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to use any contractors for the job because of the fact I have done this many times but just forgot alot.
Could someone please help
Thank you for your time in this matter.

C Bank
What you describe is NOT a DIY project and is one of those type projects that if you have to ask, you cannot do it.

First, slabs usually cannot support the weight of foundation walls and a home above without being engineered with monolithic footers and reinforcing steel in walls and slabs based upon your local soil conditions, site slope, and house loads. These conditions can only be assessed and verified by your local code enforcement office.

Second, concrete cannot be mixed and placed and verified for load strength by a novice on any job site. This is a job for a ready mix concrete company at the very least and a professional engineer at the very best.

You are well in way over your head and need professional assistance....and cannot do what you wish with your extremely limited training and ability.

Either hire professionals to do the job for you or seek professional advice on how you can proceed with help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: