How many cracks are too many outside on brick home?

Old 12-02-04, 07:28 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How many cracks are too many outside on brick home?

Our house, built in 1976, has several cracks running along the brick outside on one end of the house, from a window downward. There is no water leakage into underneath the crawlspace. I know this is from house settling. Question is, how much of this comes to a point when there are too many? Some are along mortar joint, but some go through the brick itself.

We had house appraised a couple years to refinance mortgage and the appraiser didn't mention it.

Should we be concerned at this point? Is the only cure reinforcing the foundation?

Thanks

Old 12-02-04, 10:28 AM
C
Cracks along the mortar lines are generally the result of settling and can be resolved by repointing the bricks. Cracks through bricks can be evidence of structural problems and are best evaluated by a mason or an engineer.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-02-04, 02:15 PM
dkarizona
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by chfite
Cracks along the mortar lines are generally the result of settling and can be resolved by repointing the bricks. Cracks through bricks can be evidence of structural problems and are best evaluated by a mason or an engineer.

Hope this helps.
For my fence problem, could the same approach work? It seems to me that for a long term fix my problem fence needs a reinforced base to keep it from cracking later on again. Does repointing take more than just wedging the bricks in alignment and redoing the mortar?

Old 12-02-04, 02:44 PM
C
Repairing the mortar and bricks is tuck-pointing http://www.quikrete.com/diy/ReplacingDamagedBrick.html

For walls, failure of the wall may be due to poor foundation. Walls have special problems from other structures because they are just strung along a line. They are exposed on all sides and lack corners to help support and reinforce them. Evaluating the foundation of the wall may be helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: