new cement on easement driveway

Old 12-06-04, 04:05 PM
tran383
Visiting Guest
Question new cement on easement driveway

Hi-

we are interested in having our driveway and front of home cemented. right now its just black asphalt. we are the back house and the driveway is an easement driveway. my question is do we have to get permission of the front house in order to do anything? my other thought was to just pour the cement up to the property line and deal with the driveway later on, since the driveway itself is 1100 sq. ft that we can save on for later. anyone come across this issue? thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-04, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you hold the easement on the space, you can act within the limits of the easement. Whatever the limits and allowances, these should be in the easement's recording.

Adding a strip of concrete adjacent to the blacktop will add paved area. If you intend to lay a concrete driveway over the entire area in the future, the base for the asphalt and its suitability for concrete will become a consideration. All in all, it may be best to remove the asphalt drive and start the concrete project from scratch. A solid, compliant base will help ensure that the concrete lasts.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-07-04, 12:18 AM
tran383
Visiting Guest
I just got a quote on this tonight, the total sq. foot is ~2200. with drainage towards the center to the main waste pipe its going to cost roughly $24,000. that sounds ridiculously high. its concrete with a 4 in. thickness with 220 psi i think. can this be right???

Old 12-07-04, 05:51 AM
Its more than just the square footage. What does a yard of concrete go for in your community?
Don't forget that the old asphalt needs to be removed and a solid base put down before you even bring in the trucks. They won't pour the new concrete over the old asphalt. Considering the work that needs to be done, $24,000 may be ok.

The only way to tell if its a fair estimate is to get two more estimates. Then take the middle one.

Old 12-07-04, 08:51 PM
The price you were quoted works out to be $10.90 per sq ft, twice the going rate. The psi should be 3500 - 4000 for a driveway with expansion joints every 10 -12 ft. How much is he charging to put in the drain?