Stemwall - how deep?

Old 12-18-04, 09:49 AM
dan10101
Visiting Guest
Stemwall - how deep?

I have a question on stemwalls.

We have a raised floor ranch style home in California. Approx 25 years old.

We're doing an add-on to our house that involves enlarging the deminsions of the home. When we dig out and pour the new stemwall how deep do we need to go? Is 12 inches under ground level enough?

Here is what I think we are doing.
http://teamgracer.com/remodel/concrete_stemwall.jpg

Here is what the plans show.
http://teamgracer.com/remodel/concrete_stemwall2.jpg

My helper (the brains of the group) says we need to go 12 inches below the 1st picture. A total of 24 inches below ground level. I just want to get some confirmation that this is correct. He's checking as well. I'm concerned that if we dig this out we will have distrubed the ground will be forced to go that deep as the concrete cannot be placed on distrubed ground.

I hope this makes sense to someone.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 12-18-04, 02:15 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ordinarily, the building code touches on such issues.

Old 12-19-04, 07:24 AM
dan10101
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by chfite
Ordinarily, the building code touches on such issues.
Are these posted online somewhere? I'm trying not to stir the pot, but I would like to find this out.

Old 12-19-04, 10:42 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The building code authority in your locale will have this available for use. Usually you can call there on the telephone with specific questions and receive helpful information. As a general rule, one needs a building permit to modify or construct an residence. The information with the permit and its attendant inspections will guide the placement of foundations and such.

With masonry walls, the footers are usually placed below the frostline. The frostline varies in depth by locale as the ground freezes more deeply in some places than in others.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: