how long on concrete

Old 12-27-04, 02:09 PM
how long on concrete

if you just poured a drive how long till you can actually park on the drive.
what is best to wait.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-04, 02:49 PM
I'd wait a week, but what does your contractor say. What mix was it? how thick? parking for cars or heavy trucks.

Old 12-27-04, 07:29 PM
Concrete actually reaches its functional full strength in 28 days.

Old 12-28-04, 09:03 AM
just for cars, they said a week was long enough to wait.
Other people thought we needed to wait for 21 days.. I had just never
heard of waiting that long.

Old 12-28-04, 03:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Chfite is Correct

Chfite is correct.

Concrete engineering is determined by the strength of the mix after 28 days of curing.

Simply put, this means that concrete does not reach the strength to which is was designed until at least 28 days after curing.

No dirveway should be driven upon prior to that 28 day period or suffer the consequences of your own bad actions.

Homebild hi 5's Chfite.

Old 01-21-05, 08:45 PM
How long on concrete....

"Frank99" is right on....residential driveways=1 week.

"Homebild and chfite" are technically correct re: 28 days=maximum specified strength, but I don't know of any contractor or homeowner who would tie up their driveway for 28 days!

Just my humble/experienced opinion.

Old 01-25-05, 05:06 AM
thanks everyone for the replys, always quite helpful

Old 01-26-05, 08:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by EXFFPM
"Frank99" is right on....residential driveways=1 week.

"Homebild and chfite" are technically correct re: 28 days=maximum specified strength, but I don't know of any contractor or homeowner who would tie up their driveway for 28 days!

Just my humble/experienced opinion.

I personally know of no respectable contractor, architect, or engineer who would allow anyone to drive on a newly poured drive for at least 6 weeks let alone the minimum of 28 days.

EXFFPM speaks as an unknowing amature rather than a professional in my professional opinion.

Old 01-27-05, 04:07 PM
IHI
My professional opinion is that you can tell the homie the way it should be and results if they get antsy long term. Most homies prefer playing the odds and not tieing up their drive for almost a month. Especially when the home is on a very busy road with no on street parking legally allowed and no business parking lots close or big enough neighbors drive to utilize.

Every case presents it's own problems, we can tell you dont drive on it until after 28 days, we can tell you to mist it with water for a week if it's exposed to direct hot sun, we can tell you alot of things to cover our azz and be politically correct, but often advise is rarely headed. I've yet to see any drive that sits longer than a week before the family and friends park all over it.

Old 02-18-05, 09:55 AM
dutchy
Visiting Guest
set up time

Originally Posted by mrblue
thanks everyone for the replys, always quite helpful
re drive way to drive on depents on wheather conditions was it cold when they poured it or hot temp, will increase set up time i would waite a couple days in hot wheather

Old 04-28-05, 03:01 AM
ken bo
Visiting Guest
concrete footing curing

Originally Posted by chfite
Concrete actually reaches its functional full strength in 28 days.
does this apply to concrete footings too? I am pouring some small pads to support basement posts to support a sagging wall in my two story house. the pads will be 30x30x12, reinforced with 1/2" rebar. should they be allowed to cure for 28 days? or Longer?

ken

Old 04-28-05, 03:15 PM
how long on concrete

The 28 days that everyone is worried about is the required strength of the concrete after curing it in laboratory conditions for 28 days. The untimate strength could be 25% to 75% above that. If you design a building youe design it for about half of the required strength (safety factor).

You are worried about the actual strength of your driveway.

Most concrete suppliers give themselves a cushion and supply stronger concrete because it is cheaper to do that and get involved on the wrong end of a law suit. Most failures are due to placement, finishing, curing or adding water. The concrete strength is within a few percent of what is desired. The placement and curing can change the resulting strength by as much as 25% to 50%.

You now have what was poured, so curing conditions and time are what will effect the strength. The longer you wait, the stronger the concrete. The warmer the weather, the stronger the concrete. Do not wait for the concrete to dry out or it will not get any stronger until it gets wet again. Footing and foundations are usually in the ideal place (damp) for curing so there is little to worry about.

Keep the concrete in the slab as moist as possible. The surface can be allowed to dry out after a few days without any crazing or surface cracks, but the interior should be kept moist. I hope the contractor but on a surfce sealer when he was after he pulled the forms.

He knows what kind of concrete he poured (strength, air entrainment, fly ash, water reducer, fiber mesh,...etc.). He also knows about the weather there, so he should be the one to rely on unless he was the low bidder. In any case, ask him to put it in writing when you can use the driveway.

Dick