Basement Addition

Old 01-13-05, 12:04 PM
vernonthomas
Visiting Guest
Basement Addition

Hello.

I have used these forums many times but this is the first time I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for.
I live in Vancouver, BC (About 3 hours out of Seattle) and have just bought a house. The kitchen sink and dishwasher are in a separate "pantry room". It looks like an addition to the back of the house. The area below this room is open to the elements. Basically, flooring on joists with nothing else underneath. I want to form and frame this area underneath. I have a couple of questions.
Do I have to use forms for the footing to make sure it is level?
How do I make a key, when to put it in, how much rebar, etc?
How do I cut out the existing foundation to access this new space?

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Old 01-13-05, 05:06 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In many locales, the method of construction and depth of footings are defined in the building code. Using forms helps ensure that the footers are level. Footers usually are placed into undisturbed earth and below the frost line.

Again, the code will generally address the amount, size, and placement of rebar.

If you cut through the existing foundation wall, you may well have to place a lintel to carry the overhead load. Unless the portion of the wall to be opened is not structural or the opening insignificant, the overhead load is a concern. This is a structural matter thay may be best addressed by an engineer who can figure the load of the house above to be carried by the lintel over the opening.

You can cut through the existing foundation wall with a heavy-duty masonry drill and bit or a masonry saw and blade. Often, local tool rental companies are a good source of these heavy-duty tools. The rental can be much lower than the cost of purchase.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-14-05, 10:21 AM
vernonthomas
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick response. I have a friend who has a gas powered masonry saw so it should make the job easier.
Does it matter if it cuts the rebar in the existing foundation? Will this cause any cracks or anything? The house is over 80 years old if that makes a difference?

Thanks again.

Vernon

Old 01-14-05, 07:34 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you cut a hole in the wall, through the rebar or not, is can still be a matter of compromising the structural integrity of the wall. Many of the considerations are the same as when opening a doorway or window in a load-bearing wall of the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: