concrete deterioration/repair questions

Old 01-15-05, 07:19 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question concrete deterioration/repair questions

My garage floor is beginning to lose it's smooth surface. All of the years of road salt falling off of the car in the winter has caused the smooth surface to begin to show the agregate. Any suggestions in making it look a little better? I was wondering if I can skim it with something, or skim it and put down a garage floor coating. Unfortunately I have some cracks too from the previous owners neglect of the apron that allowed water to get under the slab and raise it years ago, that has been repaired but the cracks last forever.

Old 01-15-05, 08:31 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This is one approach to a new surface for concrete.

You can use concrete sealant to fill cracks in the concrete. If the cause of the crack has been repaired this will make the work to be done over the crack more stable.

Any damaged or spalled areas should be repaired and filled beforehand. This should harden before resurfacing the entire area. The mixture will be different for filling. Check the instructions.

Concrete resurfacing compounds are made from Portland cement, sand, and additives. Since these resurfacing compounds don't shrink, you can make thin, durable repairs to otherwise sound concrete. This works on sidewalks and garages. Resurfacing is cheaper than removing and replacing existing damaged concrete.

The resurfacing application is generally thin. It can be built up in layers, if needed. You may need forms to add much to the floor. Usually this application dries in a short time - less than a day. Of course, you don't want it to freeze. Work with temperature above 50 degrees F.

Old concrete must be thoroughly cleaned to ensure proper adhesion. A pressure washer will be needed to clean the old concrete completely.

Work in an area about 10 feet by 10 feet. The individual product will vary somewhat in the area to be covered. Check the instructions on the container. Keep the surfacing material out of expansion joints. This sort of thin application will tend to dry quickly, so you will need to work quickly. Prepare the mixture according to the instructions on the individual package. A power mixer will be handy for mixing concrete. You can add colors to the new material, if you want to change to color of the floor when you repair the surface.

Apply the mixture with a squeegee or trowel to the large areas. A brush is handy for corners and nooks. Watch the time so that you finish and can prepare the surface's final finish during the time allowed. Decide beforehand to make it smooth or brushed.

After this has cured sufficiently, you might want to seal it to keep the salt from settling into the surface.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: