Stucco Leakage

Old 01-17-05, 05:33 PM
ffsguru
Visiting Guest
Stucco Leakage

I noticed a problem in my shower and I ended up removing all the tile and wallboard. That exposed an unrelated problem in my front wall. It's wood frame with plywood sheathing (15/32") and stucco. In a couple of places, it's evident that water has been coming in from the outside (the wood was damp). In one place, it's under a window, so I expect that it was poorly sealed. In another place, it's just under the roof overhang. I don't see any cracks or anything in the stucco, although I'm in the Central Florida area and we went through a few hurricanes last year.

My question is whether I can let the wood dry out from the inside (while the wallboard is off) and then seal the window and stucco from the outside to prevent further water intrusion. The wood doesn't appear to be rotted. Or, will I need to remove the stucco in those areas and replace the sheathing, and then re-stucco?

Also, if I can leave the wood in place, are there any chemicals I can use to completely kill any mold?

Old 01-17-05, 08:43 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Let the wood dry, then seal from the outside - sounds to be a good idea. Wood does not rot easily, least of all from short exposure to water. If there is evidence of mildew, you can spray it with bleach 25% in water to kill any mildew or mold. If there is none evident, there will be nothing to treat. If there were significant water damage to the wood, the stucco would have come loose.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-18-05, 06:40 AM
ffsguru
Visiting Guest
Thanks a lot for the response Chris. I will take your advice and hope for the best. I forgot to ask, what's the best way to seal painted stucco? Seems like I've heard of elastomeric something or other? Or can I just use a good primer?

Old 01-18-05, 05:20 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Usually, a good coat of paint will keep stucco up to par. If there is water puddling on the window, eliminating the puddle will keep the water from soaking through. With most water problems, finding and eliminating the source of the water is the most effective course of action to take.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: