Gas or Wood insert for fireplace?

Old 01-25-05, 10:46 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas or Wood insert for fireplace?

I am considering a gas or wood insert for our existing fireplace. Is there a gas/wood option or do I have to choose. Any other advice or recommendations I should look for ask for?

Thanks.

Old 01-26-05, 08:52 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You Need to Choose

Your normally need to choose.

While wood can be cheaper is it much dirtier, labor intensive, requires much more maintenance and probably saves you nothing when compared to a natural or propane gas insert.

Old 01-27-05, 08:50 PM
C
Considering how messy a wood insert can be compared to a gas insert, I would imagine that finding a dual purpose insert would prove to be difficult. I would be concerned about how much cleaning would be required in order to change from wood to gas.

Wood can be economical, when the wood is free. Othewise, the costs of the heating is comparable to gas or other sources.

If you don't want to mess with the wood, kindling, ashes, and such, gas would be a good, neat choice. On the other hand, the routine of loading and tending the wood burning insert can give you a feeling of being involved in the process of heating the house: harvesting the wood, splitting it, loading the insert, cleaning.

The gas insert may be more expensive to install, if you have to have a gas line run to the hearth.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: