cement under concrete walkway?

Old 02-12-05, 07:46 AM
ottomaton
Visiting Guest
cement under concrete walkway?

There was a walkway from the back door of my house to my driveway that measured about 1.5 ft x 15 ft. I figured it'd be easy enough to replace with a wider setup made from brick pavers myself so I rented a cracker and removed the old concrete.

Suprise! The walkway was about 2 feet deep, and underneeth was another layer of what appeared to be plain cement. They are clearly different layers, as the cracked concrete was pulled away from the cement by hand, revealing a flat surface. The house is pier and beam, so it's not part of the home structure it's self. I haven't checked to determine whether the cement extends outside the range of the original walkway, because frankly it kinda freaked me out and I wanted to step back and think.

Question at hand:
I was planning a typical paver construction with gravel on sand on bricks. How will this affect my plan if:

a.)the cement is only 1.5 wide (I'm planning to widen it to 4)?
b.)the cement extends under the full width of my planned walkway?

Old 02-12-05, 11:58 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As long as you get the proper stone and sand layer in place i dont see it being a problem. Making sure the ground and stone is compacted is the biggest step with pavers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: