Concrete Driveway, surface is crumbling...

Old 02-14-05, 01:22 PM
Slippery Wing
Visiting Guest
Angry Concrete Driveway, surface is crumbling...

Greetings all,

This problem may have been posted before in this forum, but I haven't found any way to search for it in just this sub-forum alone, so my apologies if the question has already been posted.

I just moved into a fairly new house a year ago (house was built in 2002), and have noticed over the winter that the top layer of concrete on the driveway is starting to crumble. Most likely due to the ice and snow we get in Kansas City.

This really has me irritated, as none of the neighbors driveways are doing this, and the house isn't even 3 years old! I have never used salt on it, although I'm not sure if the previous owner did or not. Could it be that the mix was too wet when they poured it?

Is this "normal" for a young driveway? Is there a remedy for this, or am I going to have to deal with it until I breakdown and replace the entire driveway?

Would the developer/builder have any responsibility for a 2 year old driveway that is crumbling?

This is driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-15-05, 05:48 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
Are you the first owner of this house?
If your the first there must you must have a new home warranty for 1 year.
My neighbor has the same problem. The mess up the driveway and put a top coat to fix it.
but after a winter the next spring it started to breakup do to water and freeze.
you need to have your driveway redone from scratch to fix it.
check your builder.

cheers

pg

Old 02-15-05, 06:19 AM
Slippery Wing
Visiting Guest
I'm the second owner of the house, and the house is more than one year old.

Evidently the driveway wasn't in such bad shape at the end of one year.

Very aggrevating!

Old 02-15-05, 06:44 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, the winter has taken its toll. And, yes - the mix could be a reason.
As for the fix - try elitecrete.com and look for someone in your area. They have a topping that is supposed to be pretty good. CTI is supposed to have a good product, also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: