Repair or Resurface? - Concrete Driveway

Old 03-04-05, 05:42 AM
was007
Visiting Guest
Repair or Resurface? - Concrete Driveway

Our concrete driveway is in bad shape -- cracked, some irregularly shaped sections have sunk or heaved, surface is "gravel-y" in areas. It is a double-wide driveway with a parking pad. Approximately 40' X 40'. The driveway is over 20 years old and neighbors claim that it was a poor installation in the first place.

What is the least cost option to a nice smooth, pretty driveway? Replace or Resurface?

Are there do-it-yourself options for RESURFACING. And are they cost justifiable and are the results long-term and satisfactory? What about professional resurfacing?

If we have to REPLACE is it feasible to rent equipment and do the demolition ourselves? We have access to "coaches" who could help us lay the forms and could help us finish the concrete. Is this a job better left to professionals?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by was007; 03-04-05 at 05:47 AM. Reason: add size
Old 03-04-05, 08:29 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Let me state first I do not moderate this forum. These are just my personal observations.

Sounds like a mixture of tear out and replace of some sections (the sections that moved) and resurfacing other sections. You can certainly do the tear out and replace, especially if you have experienced "coaches".

After a month, come back and resurface the entire driveway. That way, no one would ever know there was a mix of old and new concrete. There are diy products, but I'd let a pro do the resurfacing.

Last edited by BobF; 03-04-05 at 08:30 AM. Reason: correct typo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: