HELP and lots of it

Old 03-06-05, 01:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP and lots of it

My fiance and I just purchaced a century home that is in need of some serious weatherproofing. I am a very handy person but as for this I am not sure. the foundation is two feet thick, not insulated and under the windows is suffering some water dammage. I was wondering what would be most efficient to weather proof it. I am from Canada so our nights get to be around -40c and I was also wondering is I could put up some kind of drywall or something to make it more cosmedically pleasing.

I also wanted to know how I can fis the exterior of the house. Its like a concrete but it's falling off to the touch. What is that stuff called and how can I stopp this decay?

Last edited by loreyna; 03-06-05 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-06-05, 03:30 PM
C
The first step is to track down and caulk all the leaks in the siding and around any trim, windows, and doors. Get a checkup on the gutters to make sure that they drain properly. Have the roof checked for integrity.

Water damage under windows generally comes from leakage around the windows.

Uninsulated foundation---- Is the attic insulated properly? R-49 for up there. Walls insulated? Is the floor insulated in the basement/ crawlspace? Dirt floor in crawlspace?

The exterior sounds as if it may be stucco. You could ask your real estate agent for a quick answer. Stucco may be repaired if the damage is not widespread. It may be necessary to replace the stucco if the damage is extensive.

Once water finds its way behind stucco, many problems other than the failure of the stucco can occur.

If a century house is one that is 100 years old, the masonry may need attention throughout, since mortar itself has a useful life of 60 years or so.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-06-05, 04:21 PM
To answer your questions, nothing in the house is unsulated and I mean nothing. There is no crawlspace. The attic is eventually going to be converted into the master sweet. The house was built in the 1920's and is bassically a cold block of what I guess I call masonry...? I don't know if the house is stucko... It's about 2 feet thick.. it's kinda like concrete but not as tough. I am lost at this. you can see big rocks in the foundation there are tons of them. Under the windows is a river of stains from leakage. The floor in the basement is coming appart. The upstairs of the house is in great shape so I would have to rip everything out to put in insulation. We bought the house from familly so there is no real estate agent. The house was owned by my fiance's great grandparents who were the only owners.

What would be the most important thing to do with the house to save on heat?

Old 03-06-05, 08:05 PM
C
Seal the leaks and insulate the attic, the two most effective steps in saving heat. The leaks allow cold air in and warm air out. Insulation in the attic keeps the heat in the warm air in the house.

Old 03-07-05, 06:07 AM
That would explain why the attick is always nice and warm when I can see right out of the floor to the outside of the house. I mean my house is in great shape just really cold and expensive. Would you suggest something in the basement to warm it up?

Old 03-07-05, 02:41 PM
C
Would you suggest something in the basement to warm it up?
The first step is to seal the leaks and insulate the attic. I would seal the leaks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: