Pouring cement in freezing temps.

Old 03-07-05, 01:00 PM
rjc116
Visiting Guest

I plan to pour several piling for a deck later this week and the forecast is for 32 degrees or less with the night being colder of course. I've heard of simply mixing anti-freeze into the water. Is that just automotive grade antifreeze? And what is the ratio? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-05, 05:03 AM
Hi
Check with a local cement supplier
they have anti freeze for cement

they will tell you how much you need.

I dont think 32 degree would harm the cement from curing.

cheers

pg

Old 03-08-05, 11:35 AM

If you are mixing your own, keep the materials warm. Keep the bags inside, if possible, to get them up in temperatrue a bit. Use warm water (not over 130 degrees) to make the mix start to set up or hydrate faster.

As the concrete hydrates it gives off some heat. To conserve the heat and prevent freezing, protect the concrete for a few days with a blanket or fiberglas covered with some plastic.

At this time of the year, the ground surface is usually colder than the air. If you are able to dig the hole the ground is not frozen. It would be nice to warm the ground abit, but that is usually not possible.

The cool weather will slow down the curing and strength gain of the concrete, but it should be OK for constuction in a few days and will eventually reach its ultimate strength.

Dick