Filling a Hole

Old 03-18-05, 05:29 AM
inteqman
Visiting Guest
Filling a Hole

I know this will sound stupidly simple, but I've removed an inground spa and in the process of filling the hole and will eventually put paver stones over it. When I ordered sand to fill the hole the guy suggested 'rich mix' so I could use the leftover on the yard. Question: will this 'mix' ever settle out so I can use sand or gravel over it and then the pavers? Any suggestions on a best way to pack it down. Thanks.

Old 03-18-05, 08:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is Rich MIX???

Old 03-18-05, 10:03 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Filling a Hole

If the sand is just sand, it sould be O.K.

If it contains any organics (black dirt, peat, twigs, etc.) don't touch it. This would be more prone to settlement. If it contains any chemicals (ie. fertilizer) it would be cheaper to put the fertilizer on the yard where you want it.

It is hard to beat good clean sand. Moisture will cause it to compact more quickly than any materials with more fines. They will take longer to settle (a week to a year or more if it is mainly clay.

Dick

Old 03-18-05, 10:11 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Never heard of rich mix either. Must be a local term.

In any case what I would suggest is to use clean sand for fill. Rent a packer (the kind with a plate that is about 12" square and jumps up and down, not the vibrating plate type). Place about 6" of sand and pack it down good. Place another 6" and pack it down, and so on, til you get to where you want to be.

Bruce

Old 03-21-05, 07:26 AM
inteqman
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks to all for the response. Also, 'rich mix' is a third sand, third top soil and a third organics (manure). You're all right, it is settling but seems really hard when it finishes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: