New Asphalt Driveway Install

Old 03-23-05, 04:50 AM
FreddyC
Visiting Guest
New Asphalt Driveway Install

I am currently getting estimates to have a new asphalt driveway installed at my home. My house is 50 plus years old and the driveway has been 3/8 inch loose bluestone. Finally got tired of having to rake bluestones after every winter. The contractors all say they will install a 4 inch crushed stone base and 2 inches of asphalt. However I am getting different opinions of the existing 3/8 loose bluestone. One contractor says they will rake out the existing bluestones (1/2-3/4 inch) as it makes a good base and add more fill while the other says the bluestone should be completely removed and will not make a good base for the asphalt. Can the experts out there tell me which is the better installation method.

Old 03-23-05, 05:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'd level out the existing stone and put a layer over it and then blacktop it. Existing base doesnt have to be removed unless you are worried the driveway will be too high. Some contractors like to make the blacktop higher then the yard and then you have to fill the dirt in around it to bring the yard up to the blacktop. But by doing this you almost guarentee you wont have water ponding issues or ice lakes in the winter.

Old 03-26-05, 09:14 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Hey does anyone have a BASIC asphalt price per sqr. ft.? I know it depends on the install, but a ballpark figure would help me a bit. I'm looking at a simple 50 ft. flat driveway, 1-car width with no stones present.

I call these contractors and they REFUSE to give me any idea what it could be. I tell them I'm NOT ASKING FOR AN ESTIMATE but they cannot comprehend I'm trying to get an rough idea. I don't know if it would be 10,000 dollars or $100 dollars.

Thanks in advnace.

Old 03-27-05, 06:34 AM
C
If they won't give you a ballpark over the telephone, have them come give you an estimate. No cost, no obligation.

Old 03-27-05, 07:29 AM
Tony, on a guess for a 50' driveway without any base.. my guess is 4000. They will have to excavate, stone, compact and blacktop the area. But you are far better off having estimates done. Estimates to topcoat the driveway last year were all over the map. I would get a minimum of 4 estimates, don't think any of the guys here in Berks/Lehigh pave all the way out by you, so i can't give any recommendations.

The winning bidder removed an area of severely cracked blacktop, restoned that area,base coat and top coated for less then the high bidder who was going to just topcoat it all.

Old 03-26-07, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Hellrazor
Tony, on a guess for a 50' driveway without any base.. my guess is 4000. They will have to excavate, stone, compact and blacktop the area. But you are far better off having estimates done. Estimates to topcoat the driveway last year were all over the map. I would get a minimum of 4 estimates, don't think any of the guys here in Berks/Lehigh pave all the way out by you, so i can't give any recommendations.

The winning bidder removed an area of severely cracked blacktop, restoned that area,base coat and top coated for less then the high bidder who was going to just topcoat it all.
Just out of curiousity, who did you use? I live in Allentown and have used Jet Black, they were ok. I may give your guy a try.

Old 03-26-07, 06:13 PM
T
Is the bluestone rounded or sharp-edged?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: