Best way to repair cracks from basement water

Old 03-23-05, 04:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best way to repair cracks from basement water

After a few years in our new house we began to get cracks in the basement floor, than water. We had a contractor come in and they installed 2 sump pumps, and a french drain in the basement.

Since then, we've had only minor seepage/dampness through the cracks only 2 or 3 times in 8 years.

I'd like to repair the cracks now, any sugestions on the best method. One option is pour a new concrete floor on top of the old one(sounds expensive to me). I'd also have to take out the heater, h/w heater and stairs to do this.

There are many cracks, and most are hairline, and a few wider ones(no more then a 16th")

Any ideas for this ?

Thanks.

Old 03-23-05, 06:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If most of the cracks are all that small and none are larger then 1/8, you can paint the floor with Drylok. Any wider cracks would need to be cleaned out and filled with hydraulic cement.

http://www.ugl.com/DRYLOKFrame.html

Old 03-26-05, 03:12 PM
wmccormick
Visiting Guest
Cracks in concrete are extremely difficult or impossible to "fix". Virtually any fix will crack again as soon as the concrete changes temperature or it's moisture content changes. There are some epoxy compounds out there that do a fair job, but you first have to dig out all the cracks to make room for the compound, and then the slab can easily crack in other places. By far the best "fix" is to pour a new floor. If you can spare the headroom, pour over the old one. If not, you may have to jackhammer the old one out first. If you pour a new floor, do not be chincy on reinforcement or on the floor thickness. Reinforcing wire or steel is cheap when compared to cracks. 4 inches is a standard thickness for slabs like that, but for me it is 5 inches or more every time. Also be aware that after pouring the new slab, it may leak around the edges. Water in a basement is a nightmare. You may have to go outside the house and dig down all around the basement walls and put a super duper french drain in.

W.A. McCormick
Lindale, Texas

Old 03-29-05, 05:24 PM
dantis
Visiting Guest

In my old house, I used a product called Thoroughseal, purchased at Homedepot. Like a cement type mixture that you brush on the entire service of the floor. Worked well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: