replacing window with a door

Old 03-26-05, 06:22 AM
tgoz
Visiting Guest
replacing window with a door

I want to take out a window and install a 36 inch door.The outside wall is 4 inch block which make wall from outside to inside 10 inches.How big of opening do I need and do I make it flush with the outside cinder block or will it be recessed between the block so it is flush on the inside? How do I install this door?

Old 03-26-05, 09:23 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You would need to brace the wall from above to carry the load when you remove the support when enlarging the window opening for a door. Install a lintel to carry the load and reinforce the wall as needed for this change in structural construction. Ordinarily, the rough opening is 2 inches wider and 2 - 5/8 inches taller that the door proposed. I would install a pre-hung door unit. So much simpler. The prehung unit can be bought with the jamb modified for the thicker wall or you could build it up to suit. I would expect an exterior door to be mounted from the outside, that is flush outside.

Check with the building permit folks to see if you need a permit for this type of modification to the wall or perhaps engineered drawing for a structural change.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: