Attaching existing exterior brick walls to NEW interior walls

Old 03-29-05, 09:33 PM
Don 05
Visiting Guest
Attaching existing exterior brick walls to NEW interior walls

I'm considering buying a brick home that had a fire. The exterior brick walls are in good condition. However, the interior walls are gone.
Is there a method of attaching the NEW interior walls to the existing exterior brick walls and will a building inspector buy into this?

Old 03-31-05, 12:27 AM
Shanley
Visiting Guest
I am assuming that by interior walls you mean the back up walls...so in other words the only thing left standing are the single wythe brick veneer walls...Is this correct?

Old 04-02-05, 11:53 AM
Don 05
Visiting Guest
That is correct. There are no interior walls, but the exterior walls (the brick walls) are still standing and in excellent shape.

Old 04-02-05, 02:32 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tying Brick to new wall

You will, of course, build wall as normal, stand wall up slide up to existing brick to within a half inch. Buy metal straps screw metal straps into brick using tapcons a screw designed to screw in to masonry after pilot hole is drilled then screw or nail to wood wall, make sure to pull strap taut.

Will this pass inspection? I do not know what inspection laws are where you live, they always vary from place to place, and I do not mean from state to state, counties may have different codes from state, so on and so.

I have been a bricklayer for 30 years and I can tell you the only thing a Brick Tie does is steady the wall, the brick wall that is so if the brick wall is already there and sturdy and excellent shape as you say then the reason you are putting the ties on would be to apease the inspectors, ties on a regular brick application should be every 16 inches apart and every sixteen inches high, so in putting ties on in the way that you must do it I would put them on more often then this alot more often just in case anything should shift especially around where you will be framing out the windows to correspond with the openings already there.

This is, of course, what you can do only if the local building inspector in your are gives you the go ahead, otherwise you will have to go with what he says and see if there are other ways around it.

Backing the wall up with 4 inch block and then filling the void between block and brick with morar to create a solid bond might be another choice but you probably due not have a footer on which to build the four inch wall unless structure is built on a concrete slab, or pouring another footer may be an option then stud block wall out with firring strips.

Hope this gives you some ideas or different ways to look at the problem.

I wish you luck inspectors sometimes can be painful most are helpful, though.

Old 04-02-05, 03:26 PM
Don 05
Visiting Guest
Thank You MOWPAR!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: