Underground Tunnel

Old 03-30-05, 09:24 PM
rdcrane
Visiting Guest
Underground Tunnel

I've got an old 1940's house with a detached garage. For fun I've been toying with the idea of building a tunnel from my basement to my garage. The basement wall is completely underground and the garage is only about 60 feet away. The theory is I cut a section out of the basement concrete wall and tunnel the 40 feet to the garage, lets say 7 feet tall and 4 feet wide (I'm a tall guy). The ground is fairly flat and the tunnel would only be about a foot underground. Drainage isn't problem because the ground slopes down a hill not far from the garage.

So here's the question... brick or concrete ?? I could dig the tunnel a little at a time and just use bricks with some rebar to reinforce the walls. Or just poor concrete in forms as I go. The roof being a concrete slab in both cases.

There are lots of aspects to this little project with safety being the most important. If anyone has heard of someone doing this I'd be interested to know how they did it.

I've always thought this would be a great project and after hearing about the Forestiere Underground gardens I thought I would revisit the idea more seriously.

http://www.undergroundgardens.com

Regards,

Ray

Old 03-31-05, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Ray,

I have seen similar in a college setting where the space between two buildings was excavated from above and the tunnel was made with poured concrete.

The one's to really advise you on this would be your permit department and the engineer who will need to come up withdrawings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: