1920 Brick Looking Tile Home

Old 04-05-05, 10:25 AM
odetospaghetti
Visiting Guest

I own a Rail Road Depot that was built in the late 1920's. It is made of 5 inch high by 8 inch long tiles (no idea on depth), that appear to look like bricks. I have seen only one other home that is this way. It is an old school house, that is now a home. I would like to find some of these tiles fill in a couple windows with and replace a couple of tiles. Does anyone have any ideas on where I could go to find them? Does anyone know what the proper name is for these tiles that look like large bricks? They have an earthy red tone and a rough finish.

Thanks,

Bryan

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-05, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

It sounds like the hollow clay tile that was used at about that time. Usually it has a scored or scratched face made to receive stucco. I had a house that was built in 1917 with them. The stucco lasted well and the interior was stripped out with full 2 x 4s. Mine were larger masonry units, but they could have been made in one of the brick sizes with a face for exposing.

I do not think the brick sized units are made but you could contact one of the larger brick producers to find out if they or a small specialty plant makes someting similar. Matching the color and texture could be tough. A company like Glen Gary Brick might give you some leads.

If there is one building like yours, there should be others. Look around for something similar. A lot of these type of buildings are being restored and being modified, leaving some scraps.

If not, possible you could find some modern brick in a similar size, colr and texture. Thes could be used in some way or other if the wall is over 8 inches thick.

I found my house to be an amazing stucture and wish I had it today.

Good luck.

Dick