Tearing out a section of sidewalk

Old 04-07-05, 12:58 PM
pixal
Visiting Guest
Question Tearing out a section of sidewalk

I need to tear our about 10 feet of concrete sidewalk. We are having a tree removed and roots have pushed up the sidewalk quite a bit.

Would it be best to rent a jackhammer? Do I need a concrete saw? Hit it with my head ? Is this a good diy job? Other ideas?

alz

Old 04-07-05, 01:04 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A jackhammer is almost a must! You will only need a concrete saw if there are no expansion joints at the ends of the section you want to take out.

Or, you can rent a concrete saw and cut the sidewalk into 12" pieces and take them out without breaking them up with a jackhammer. A 12" square piece of concrete sidewalk 4" thick will weigh about 50 lbs.

Old 04-07-05, 04:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 871 Upvotes on 762 Posts
I think you could do fine with out a jack hammer. I would rent a saw though. Most expansion joints only go halfway through the concrete. Cut both ends then go at it with a sledge hammer. Most sidewalks are only 3 1/2" thick. As Joe said you can always cut the sidewalk into smaller pieces if the sledge hammer gets too tiring. No reason for a DIYer not to do it, but you best plan on spending plenty of sweat.

Old 04-07-05, 05:17 PM
B
Caution on the saw rental. A diamond-tipped blade costs several hundred dollars to replace. You don't want to break one of those.

Old 04-21-05, 05:55 AM
I
I could do it with a sledgehammer and an angle grinder.

Old 04-22-05, 04:30 AM
C
well

Do you have a skill saw? you can buy a diamond blade(masonary) for around 50 bucks. it should last for just two cuts/if there is no steel in it. most sidewalks dont have steel. Cut each end and if there is any blade left keep cutting the pieces into halfs until the blade is gone. (dont buy the blades that look like the grinding wheel they only last about 20 seconds. Once your blade is gone you should have small enough pieces to hall it out.

before making all the cuts try the sledge hammer as mentioned above in the other post it might just break right up. if you can drive a small piece of pipe or somthing under the center of the slab before striking it with the hammer, this will help you make a break in it as the ground wont be absourbing the shock of your hammer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: