Brick Steps

Old 04-08-05, 08:53 AM
cptyoak
Visiting Guest
Brick Steps

I am getting ready to begin construction on front door brick steps and I am concerned about getting the correct footing in place. The steps will be at least 2 feet tall and approximately 4 feet wide. What would be the best way to ensure the best footing for this project? Pour concrete on top of a subbase or pour footings below the freeze line?

Old 04-08-05, 01:28 PM
Shanley
Visiting Guest
Typically you don't have a problem with frost when pouring footing slab for brick steps so option 1 is fine.

Old 04-08-05, 01:33 PM
Shanley
Visiting Guest
Guess I should expand my answer by stating that frost won't be a problem because you are building against an occupied dwelling , I assume, which is heated during the cold months.

Old 04-08-05, 03:52 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oftimes, the building code will dictate any necessity for footings and the proper depth. I would go down past the frost line to avoid having to replace the steps later from trying to save a little money now.

Old 04-08-05, 04:45 PM
Shanley
Visiting Guest
With due respect, I have built a significant number of brick steps on slabs, some are almost 20 years old and still in excellent shape...And as you know winters can be brutal in New England

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: