Need some driveway advice please...

Old 04-09-05, 05:40 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need some driveway advice please...

I live on the end of a dead end road in the country. The road in actually ends in a circle in front of my house. The driveway is plenty due for an update. I have several issues to address and will let the driveway continue to look like a back farm laneway until I can address these issues properly. I do need a base and need to build up the level of the driveway circle so that it drains better. The circle comes right up to the front porch cement pad of the house and have about 4" of pad in height to work with. The rest of the circle is grass meeting gravel situation. With having a circle, you can imagine what kind of problems I'm having....inside curve getting worn down as stones being pushed to outside, people driving on grass on inside curve and creating a muddy mess. A lot of kids going in and out and needing to slow down. A couple of times, someone used the circle to turn around, gunned the car when they got in front of the house and took 6 storm windows out as well as the lights built into the porch roof. So, whatever I do, it needs to be packed down tight with nothing loose. Because the driveway comes right up to the front door, I don't want anything tracking into the house or dust being raised everytime with use. I'd like to contol the line of the inside curve, but don't want to use a concrete curb...would like to keep it more natural. I don't want the snowblower picking rocks up and throwing them on the lawn in winter and likewise, would like to be able to mow the lawn up to the edges without having to get out the trimmer. I don't know where to start, and am on a tight budget. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Old 04-09-05, 09:51 AM
C
Crusher run will pack down nice and neat. Although there may be some sand tracking, it beats loose rocks. Any driveway will need some maintenance to correct ruts from traffic but since there are no loose stones to move about, crusher run needs little but annual filling and spot packing of the fill.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-05, 12:52 PM
I'll second that, crusher run is also called 2A modified. All depends where you are at.

Old 04-09-05, 06:13 PM
M
Thankyou! I will use these words when I make the contact with the trucker. Actually, I'm in Canada and know of something called chips and dust and am wondering if that is what I am thinking of. I will use these words that you have, though and see if it connects. Thanks again. Have you got any ideas on how to keep drivers from going off the drive on the inside? I'm thinking something continuous, not concrete, maybe just the curve that goes past the house?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: