chimney nothing but trouble!

Old 04-19-05, 12:26 AM
S
stittumscrib
Visiting Guest
Question chimney nothing but trouble!

hi....this is my first time here.here is my problem.my exterior wall has a chimney behind it that has been covered by sheetrock.the wall on the side of the fireplace has become soggy from getting wet.my plan is to remove chimney just below the roof line,cap the chimney off with a concrete slab.frame the roof where it was and roof over the spot.put up new gutters.is this a pretty good plan or can someone please advise me of some way that is better.the chimney leans a few inches away from the house from about the roof up.it leaks and is an eye sore.after that i am going to remove the sheetrock,replace any damaged framing,new insulation,plastic to keep water vapors out,and replace the damaged sheetrock.do i have a good plan or is there something that i am leaving out?...thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-05, 03:58 AM
T
tmacc51
Visiting Guest
is the chimney that ugly? Is it functional? I'd lean on fixing id before tearing it down, unless it is an eyesoar. A home with a chimney will have a greater resale value. I recently tore my entire chimney down in favor of a metal one. My chimney was totally out of code and in the wrong part of the house. It was 2X5 2 stories tall. Grab a friend and they are not too bad. Masks and goggles are essential. Grap a 3LB hammer and a large framing hammer. Tap the bricks a couple of times, and they will come loose from the mortar. With all the work that is, I would tend to lean on just fixing the problem with new flashing.

Old 04-24-05, 04:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

If you have no need for it Id sure go with you get it off the roof there now and stop any leak it could have later on.
Rebuild the roof like its not there.

ED