how Do I do an estimate.

Old 04-21-05, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how Do I do an estimate.

I have to do an estimate for a small concrete area. The area is 4ft by 5 ft to go a depth of 4 inches or 1/3rd ft. I want tomix cement, gravel and sand. I do I do the estimate so I do not have a lot of material left to store. I do not want to use ready mix material. I live in brooklyn New York and we do not have too severe a winter some zeros but usually lowest ar 20 or 30 degrees.

The masons here in Brooklyn do not know how to do good estimates.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-05, 04:33 AM
What

Do you want to know how much concrete to get?

4ft by 5ft by 4/12ths

4x5x.33= 6.6 cubic ft. One bag of ready mix is one cubic ft so you need 7 bags.

Or 6.6 cubic ft would take 6.6cubic ft/27cubicftyrd= .25 Yards of mix from a cement truck. They want deliver that small a load unless you pay a small load fee. its better if you can come up with somthing else to concrete at the same time . form it up and get a yard or so.If you don't need that much maybe you can form up your project and tell the cement company you only need .25 yards and when there doing a job in your area they can stop and give you your .25 yard.

Old 04-22-05, 05:06 AM
Unfortunately, I am taking the long route because I already have some bags of Portland cement. The hardware stores sell bags of sand and also bags of gravel. As such I need to know how much sand and how much gravel will be equavalent to the 7cu ft. Do I simply buy 2 bags of stone and 4 bags of to mix with 2 bags of cement?

Old 04-22-05, 05:13 AM
That is all you have to do, I never even measure on a small job. I just add 1 shovel full of portland + 1 shovel full of rocks + 1 shovel full of sand and so on until I am done. So yes the 2+2+2 should work fine. Just don't get it too soupy thicker is better, won't crack when curred. And don't spray surface with water when done. I always see it done and in a few years you will see cracks. I never spray it down when done and never have any cracks.