fix concrete settling

Old 04-23-05, 04:51 PM
van239
Visiting Guest
Question fix concrete settling

I have a piece of walkway connected to my house that has settled away from the house. I now have water pooling in this area by my house. Not a huge deal, except for when we get a bunch of rain. Plus, there is a lip of about 2-3" and it is a potentially hazardous lip.

I want to fix this and was wondering what is the best way. Can I lay concrete over the top to level it out? Can I break it up and then re-pour concrete? or do I have to replace this piece???

Thanks

Old 04-23-05, 10:53 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
?

How long has the piece been there? What do you think is causing it settling or roots? is it fixed to the house or poured beside? how long and wide is the piece or section? Is it higher next to the house or higher on the outside of the slab?

Old 04-24-05, 11:24 AM
van239
Visiting Guest
I'm not quite sure how long the piece has been their, but my house was built in 1959..
I think it was caused by settling and it is not fixed to the house from what I can tell.
It slopes away from the house with the lower edge being away from the foundation.
The piece is 10' long by 4' wide and is in between my steps and the driveway. Approximately 8' is along the house with a 1/2" piece of board (not quite sure what it is called) between the house and this concrete.
It has settled about 2.5"

I hope this gives you a better idea. Thanks from responding..

-van239

Old 04-24-05, 11:47 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wedge it

I would make some wooden wedges(hardwood) and try to drive them under the edge of the slab about every foot or two apart. Slowly drive all the wedges in uniformally to try and lift the outside of the slab until it is level with the other slab. Once it is lifted up you can do something to pack material back under the slab ex: drive old broken brick bats or pour some concrete under or get some metal shim to put under it. You may even want to try just packing caly dirt back under it until you get it about an inch or so higher than the other slab, after it settles the slabs should be close. if you pack concrete under the slab leave the wooden wedges in until the concrete has stiffend up and try to slowly take the wedges out, have enough concrete so that the slab is higher than the fixed slab this will allow you to remove the wedges and bump the slab down until the slabs are equal. Then stay off until the concrete pad is dry.

Old 04-25-05, 03:11 AM
BFD
Visiting Guest
You could use an overlayment like Flexset to float it to grade. Ive used it for your exact problem and it worked great. Very DIY. I ordered it thru eBay.

good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: