New Garage Slab

Old 04-26-05, 03:05 AM
deckers007
Visiting Guest
New Garage Slab

The floor in our garage is currently made up of Interlocking bricks (weird but that is what they wanted when they built). I resently hired a contractor to replace the bricks with a poured slab. What should i be looking for when he does his work to make sure he is not doing a half-A$$ job? should there be some 10-test along the walls? should there be some sort of vapour barrior under the slab? how think?

Please help

Old 04-26-05, 04:40 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You will need a proper base for the slab. The interlocking bricks may be on a couple of inches of sand which suits the flexible nature of blocks. Concrete requires a bit more robust base or suitably undisturbed soil. Your building code will specify some of these. A 6 mil vapor barrier goes under the concrete, wire mesh reinforcement. Where the bricks may not have had a slope for drainage due to the open nature of interlocking pavers, the footer for the garage may need modifying to accommodate the slope of the concrete floor.

Did the other bids specify anything else?

Old 04-27-05, 12:34 AM
deckers007
Visiting Guest
I think that that everyting that was needed to be done was done, but i think the original owner ran out of money or something. The bricks are set upon 5-6 inches of packing gravel(crusher dust i think) and under that washed 3/4 gravel? does that sound right??

Chris

Old 04-27-05, 09:11 AM
C
If that is what was done previously, that will suit for concrete.

Old 04-28-05, 02:47 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
New Garage Slab

If you paver floor has performed well, a concrete slad of reasonable thicknees will certainly be OK with only base leveling before pouring.

Your installation was not really weird. Quite often heavy equipment garages are surfaced with pavers. This is because they can get into the building immediately (rather than after 24 days of concrete curing) and the pavers can be replaced because of abuse by the heavy equipment, tools and caterpillar tracks. They also do it so they can easliy change underground systems. Pavers are also used for runway edging and heavy duty taxiways at airports.

Contrary to common belief a asphalt or paving stone surface needs a better (and thicker) base than concrete. The thickness and quality of the base give the flexible pavement its strength and the asphalt or paving stones merely add to the strength and provide the desired surface. Concrete will bridge over locally weak bases. The only problem comes with diffferential settlement between slabs or sections.

Dick

Old 05-02-05, 06:01 AM
I
You want to make sure that the new slab has enough expansion joints to help prevent craking in the future. Also require netting or rebar in the concreteas a reinforcement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: