Repairing Concrete Steps/Porch - my turn

Old 04-26-05, 03:00 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repairing Concrete Steps/Porch - my turn

I'm ready to get after this. I've got cracking (more like little craters than linear cracks) in the tread and risers of all four steps of my concrete porch. One step is really hurting (missing all corners and has moss growing in it) I was going to buy some quick-crete, mix it up, stick it in there and flatten it out. Just like Dad used to do. Is this even close to right? Are there newer/better products out there for the job? Do I need to add some sort of adhesive before the new concrete goes in the gaps? Is there a different product for the horiz vs. vertical cracks?

Thanks, y'all.

-Woostah

Old 04-26-05, 04:45 PM
C
Small cracks and damaged places in the surface of the concrete are straightforward to repair, but not so much with concrete as with patching agents for the concrete http://************/4esv2 .

Rebuilding the steps, on the other hand, is close to what you mention with bit of a twist to the approach. http://************/atl5f covers the details.

Freshly repaired and resurfaced steps should look nice.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-27-05, 06:30 AM
W
Thanks for the URLs, Chris. They give better instruction than the book I have.

Hey, I see this "undercutting" thing where you're supposed to chisel a reverse angle where you'll be applying new concrete. Is that an absolute necessity? On the damaged step, I'm a little nervous that excess chiseling will just destroy the step. Then I'm rebuilding the entire thing, which would su-uck.

Another question: The badly damaged step has a 1/2" hole in the back of it that leads to no man's land inside the porch. I used a yard stick to see what's down there. It's about 3" deep and I hit a pretty hard surface - maybe the original fill? I thought I'd just fill it with Quick-Crete. Should I drop some sand/dirt in there first?

Old 04-27-05, 07:58 AM
C
The undercutting helps keep the repair in place. Proceed carefully. It won't take much more time to do it right slowly than to do it over later.

If the hole is more than three inches deep, shove some wadded newspaper into it to stop the concrete at two to three inches and make your repair there.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: