Forming Question

Old 05-01-05, 11:25 AM
vernonthomas
Visiting Guest
Forming Question

Hello. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good website that describes how to build forms for footings and foundations. I would like to know how to form for a monolithic pour and proper rebar placement and things like that. Thanks in advance for any info.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-05, 01:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
A lot of those details will be covered by your local building code. Your footing size, depth, reinforcing (rebar) all depend on what you are doing and the location where you are building.

Old 05-02-05, 03:41 PM
vernonthomas
Visiting Guest
I realize that the local code book will tell me where the rebar goes and other related aspects, but it will not tell me how to properly build a form or tell me any tricks of the trade. It will not tell me what the best method for suspending the rebar and it will not tell me the best way to form corners. So again, could anyone give me a good website that describes the proper way to form footings and foundations and any helpful hints. Thanks again.

Old 05-02-05, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You might take a look at the description covered on this page and see if it provides enough information for you. http://************/caydc

Hope this helps.

Old 05-02-05, 11:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
Footers are about the crudest form of construction and since they are burried underground they have to be functional not pretty. Generally the trench for the footer is the form. You dig the footer to the size & depth required and pour in the concrete, often with no forms required. When forms are required they can be built of scrap wood. They do not have to be anything fancy. They must be strong enough to hold the concrete in place, which is pretty easy if you are only puting in an 8" step but if you have to hold back a 24" column of wet concrete you have to make sure it is braced or backfilled to withstand the pressure without collapsing. Any wood used to form the footers must be removed after the concrete is cured. Wood cannot be left in the ground.

Rebar is held in place with wire stands that are made just for that purpose (be careful pouring, the stands are easily knocked over). You can also drive steel or rebar stakes in the ground and wire the rebar to them (this is usually the most secure). In my area you can even set your bar on bricks or cement blocks (be carful not to roll the rebar off the blocks). Do not use wood.

In your footers you will need to drive steel or rebar into the ground to indicated how deep the footer is to be poured. These bars are usually left in place so they cannot be wood.

Forms for footers are really simple and easy, so don't sweat too much worrying about them. The hardest part is properly measuring/surveying and doing the digging (hopefully with a backhoe).