pouring a landscape curb or border

Old 05-09-05, 06:02 PM
susanmc180
Visiting Guest
Question pouring a landscape curb or border

hi - my husband and i were going to have a landscape curb poured around our flower beds until we priced having it done.we have decieded to do it ourself.my husband is more than "handy" around the house.his concern is the "mix".he doesnt want to use the regular quick crete because of cracking problems.someone told him to use the quikrete sand ,or the quikrete motor mix.we plan to dig down about 4" and leave about 4"exposed above ground,making the height 8" .the width would be 4".also would you use 1/2 " rebar ? would you use a packed sand or pea gravel base to set the curb on ?
your replies are most welcomed.
thank you so much.
susanmc
susanmatt@cox-internet.com

Old 05-09-05, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
pouring a landscape curb or border

Concrete shrinks when it cures. Because of this,you should break the entire length into lengths of about 12 feet or less to eliminate cracks. The rebar is a must.

Do not run the normal rebar through the joints between sections. To prevent two adjacent sections from moving up and down relative to each other, use something that is used for highways. Connect the two sections with a plain (smooth) steel rod extending into each section about a foot. Put a liberal amount of grease on one end of this bar and wrap with a layer or two of paper. Then pour the concrete.

This will allow the sections to move slightly lengthwise because of the grease on one side, but prevent one side from raising or settling. It will look better for a long time with very little extra cost. This is very important if you are in a cold climate where the ground freezes.

Dick

Old 05-10-05, 02:01 PM
susanmc180
Visiting Guest
thanks dick for your reply

thanks for your idea'a - they will be helpful.sounds like a very good suggestion and we will try that. we still dont know what mix to use , but are researching it.........thanks again
susanmc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: