DIY Brick Work

Old 05-12-05, 01:12 PM
omer
Visiting Guest
DIY Brick Work

Hello People,

I am thinking of replacing our retaining wall, which is currently some weird wood/bamboo type material, with brick! I have had a couple of estimates from some contractors but it is pretty expensive.

All I need to do is put up a 4foot retaining wall in a semi circle on my front yard. Apparently I don't even need to use concrete since I will not be breaking bricks in to smaller sizes(as done for a porch), and I can just glue them (probably a special brick glue).

It seems to be simple enough, dig a little, level the ground and start placing the bricks making sure to backfill it.

My question is, am I being too ambitious? Or is this doable? Do a lot of people do their own brick work if its for a small project? If so how do you manage the curve when making a semi-circle? Your answers will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Omer

Old 05-12-05, 07:56 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you glue or mortar the bricks together, you will need a footer to keep the wall from shifting and breaking apart. If you use the segmented retaining wall blocks that are stacked and offset from front to back, you won't need a footer. These are intended to sit on the leveled ground. Since they are not mortared together, they can shift with the ground.

I don't understand what you mean by bricks broken into smaller pieces such as for a porch.

Four feet is about the limit for a segmented wall without some engineering design. Moreover, some locales require a building permit for walls over a certain height. You might check with your department to see if one is required.

Laying a semi-circle with these blocks is as simple as describing the arc then scraping a place for the bricks.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-13-05, 06:32 AM
omer
Visiting Guest
Thank you Chris, I will definitely keep the things you mentioned in mind. Yeah the brick cutting was meant for the porch.

I might start this weekend to start getting the material together and perhaps next week building it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: