Concrete over conrete question

Old 05-17-05, 04:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Concrete over conrete question

My old patio is concrete and was probably a very poor mix when poured some 25-30 years ago. While there are only a few small cracks, the surface is badly pitted and needs replacing or "covering", not to mention it slopes towards the house and walkways versus draining away from them.

I have been considering having a cover layer poured over the existing concrete and have seen a few jobs with a "pattern" (field stone, flag stone, bricks, etc.) that look pretty nice. Seems much easier and less costly than tearing out all the old bed and starting all over I am told.

I would intend on having them slope the new pour AWAY from the buildings and walkways.

How thick (or thin) can something like that be poured without crating future problems?

Last edited by wisconsincraft; 05-18-05 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-19-05, 03:40 AM
Hello?

Anybody home?

Certainly someone has some experience and suggestions on this.

Old 05-19-05, 12:14 PM
C
The new slab can be poured on top of the old slab but needs to be the normal recomended thickness, can't make it thinner or it will not hold up. If you can't fit the new slab on top for it being too high I would bight the bullet and ripp up the old slab.

Old 05-19-05, 05:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
I had a workshop where I used to live 14 yrs ago when I doubled the size of it I wound up pouring 2" thick over the original floor. I was advised to paint it first with a product called 'bondsal' [I think that was the name] That was about 20 yr ago, when I moved it still looked good, no cracks and as far as I know was bonded well to the old concrete. I don't know if they still make this product but it might be worth looking into.

Old 05-20-05, 08:26 AM
BFD
Visiting Guest
You could use this material
www.innovativerepairproducts.com
I use it on warehouse floors and patios where pitting and forklift wear need to be repaired. you could also correct your slope. Good luck.

Last edited by BFD; 05-20-05 at 08:28 AM. Reason: link broke
Old 05-21-05, 04:19 AM
BFD...........How thick can this material be applied and does it look like concrete?

I have use some "patch" materials that were "supposed" to look like concrete but turned out to be a Navy gray color.

Old 05-21-05, 04:21 AM
chevydrivin......

How thick is the "normal recommended thickness" you are suggeting?

Old 05-22-05, 01:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by wisconsincraft
chevydrivin......

How thick is the "normal recommended thickness" you are suggeting?
Normal thickness for concrete is a minimum of 3.5 inches.

Old 05-23-05, 07:35 AM
BFD
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by wisconsincraft
BFD...........How thick can this material be applied and does it look like concrete?

I have use some "patch" materials that were "supposed" to look like concrete but turned out to be a Navy gray color.
There are no minimum or maximum thicknesses that ive run across. It looks very much like concrete. You can also customize the topping sand to acheive the color you desire. I like it because it tapers out to nothing and is very workable. Once this stuff cures its harder than rock. I'm always amazed.
Ok I read the label, it says 1/8" to unlimited. good luck

Old 09-04-05, 11:14 PM
JeremyGood
Visiting Guest
Update?

The web site referenced: www.innovativerepairproducts.com does not appear to be there anymore.

Can anyone point me at another place to get information on this concrete surfacer mentioned by "BFD"?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Old 09-05-05, 07:19 PM
B
A cover layer, known as an overlay, is a good idea. You have lots of options for the pattern, texture, and color. An overlay will not correct the slope.

Quickcrete makes a couple of products for you to consider.

You can also do a tear out and replace with new concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: