When to "Finish" Concrete Slab ???

Old 05-20-05, 11:39 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When to "Finish" Concrete Slab ???

I haven't done much concrete work, but I'm pouring some new steps at my mom's house, and I have some questions...

How soon after I screed the top should I float the surface. Immediately?

Also, I have the tool for finishing (rounding) the top edges... how soon do I use this tool??

I have also seen masons use a broom to give concrete a more textured/non-slip surface. How soon would I broom the surface, and not "mess it up" by exposing the aggregate?

In some cases, my step has a wall on 1 or 2 sides. Without have a form on those sides to guide my screed board, how do I keep the proper pitch and get a smooth surface?

any ideas appreciated, thanks
wingnut

Old 06-19-05, 01:08 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Finishing 101....

Snap a chalkline on the walls without screed surfaces and gently float the wet/fresh concrete to match the line and use that surface as a level as you place the other end of your screed on the exterior forms. Float the concrete immediately after screeding. Edge immediately after floating and use hand float to smooth out the lines left by the square edge of the edging tool. Wait until the surface water has disappeared and float/trowel the surface. Broom a small area of the surface as it starts to harden and refinish if it appears too coarse or rocks show and wait to rebroom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: