Closing In A Basement Window

Old 05-23-05, 10:40 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Afternoon..
I've got a cinderblock foundation basement with 4 of those little typical basement windows..and I would really like to seal one of them up, permanently. I noticed that the space of the wondow is exactly 2 cinderblocks wide, by 2 high... so I was wondering if I could just mortar 4 new blocks into the space of the window and call it CLOSED. (The window is about 2.5 feet above grade).

The interior side would also get DRYLOKed like the rest of the wall.

Old 05-23-05, 07:43 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I have heard a basement like yours referred to as a "Michigan basement".

Sounds like a good idea. If you can get the old window out the job is simple and you don't have to worry about holding anything up since the window didn't. Since you only are doing it once and you are well above grade with a lot of available light you may want to install glass blocks flush with the outside wall. In some areas you gat buy mini-panels that eliminate a lot of problems and give you light without maintenace an worries.

Dick

Old 05-23-05, 08:52 PM
C
If you remove the framing for the window and leave the metal or stone lintel, mortaring in blocks is exactly what to do.

Old 05-24-05, 05:07 AM
M
cool..sounds easy.. TOO EASY.
that always scares me.

Light is not a factor as I intend to frame over the space.. the lintel in this case is a steel beam that runs along the top of the foundation.
(I had to look Lintel up... learn something on the forum every day)

thank you both for the reply

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: