Installing Slates on a Concrete Porch???

Old 05-27-05, 07:30 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing Slates on a Concrete Porch???

Hello:

I'm redoing my front porch. I need to pour about 3 inches of Concrete and install Slates in a pattern on top. I'd like to know what the Pro's do to keep the slates from settleing too deep into the concrete. As far as I can tell there are two ways to do this and I'd like opinions on which is better, or if you know and even better way, to offer that information...

1. Use small stones, or something buried in the wet Concrete to prevent the Slates from sinking below a certain level.

2. Just pour and level and pitch the Concrete to the desired incline to allow for water to run away from the house. Then install the slates afterward when the concrete is fully dried.

If method 2 is the better way to go (and I'm thinking it is). what type of mortor, cement or bonding agent shoud be used to assure the Slates stay put for many years?

Thanks for any and all Help with this...Cheers, Bob

Old 05-29-05, 08:03 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ordinarily, you pour the slab, then bed the stones in mortar when the concrete is set sufficiently. This is a two-step process of pour the slab then install the stones. You could use type S mortar to bed the stones.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: