slab questions

Old 06-09-05, 08:25 AM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slab questions

i have started to build an area of approx 500 sq ft using cmu and concrete. the footing and cmu wall are completed but the slab is not poured. we wont go into the reason for this, lol. the wall is fully grouted with drainage pipe and emulsion type waterproofing along the outside perimeter. please help a bass ackward diy mason complete this project. i could use some advice on how to go about pouring the slab so it will be watertight and strong. thanks in advance.

Old 06-09-05, 10:39 AM
C
Here is a rundown on pouring a concrete slab. http://doityourself.com/concrete/h2pourconcrete.htm

Do you have your permits and inspections current? You cannot inspect after the slab is poured.

Old 06-10-05, 04:52 AM
L
slab questions pt 2

thanks for the url. yes everything is current. my problem is that the slab was supposed to be poured before the cmu wall was laid. i have the footing pored and the wall ( 5 course ) already in place without the slab. the rebar to tie in footing to slab are in place and the wall alrerady grouted. what i need to know is the best way to pour the slab inside of the enclosure. do i need anything (like an emulsion joint) between existing foot/wall and slab? should i pour half on footing half on wall ( depyh of slab)? do i need to put water barrier under footing? does it need to be sealed? when the ground outside the wall becomes saturated from rain ( maybe once a year ) the water comes underneath the footing into the area without slab. Is this going to be a problem after slab is poured? Please advise on the best way to accomplish this. mahalo and aloha

Old 06-10-05, 12:27 PM
C
Usually, the slab would be poured up to the footers. Ordinarily, there is no joint inserted between the slab and the footer. 6 mil plastic is usually placed on the packed soil, under the reinforcement wire or rebar. The plastic keeps the moisture out of the slab.

If there is a drainage problem, it should be corrected. Keeping the water away is cheaper and more effective than trying to keep it out of the structure, otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: