Should I rebuild?

Old 06-14-05, 02:14 AM
Touring
Visiting Guest
Should I rebuild?

My builder laid a 6" concrete base foundation. However, I forgot to mention to him that one of my "built in" appliances had its own base (4"). As a result, in order for it to fit under the counter, the wall supports which were "poured" had to be also 4" higher. Everything looks great except for the height.

Should I leave it because it looks great and be uncomfortable for the rest of my stay in the home? And what about resale?

While I do not want to upset the builder, would it not be better to cut my losses, dig out the portion of concrete base so that the appliance could fit lower and reconstruct the wall support?

Old 06-14-05, 03:38 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New appliance or old? can you replace the appliance with a smaller unit or is it standard?bring it up to your builder and ask him if the base can be removed off of the appliance. Then he will know of your problem and may be willing to help your correct it.maybe the base can be removed.

Old 06-15-05, 04:04 AM
Touring
Visiting Guest
Should I rebuild?

It would not make a difference if I change the dishwasher since the countertop has already been cast. That is the problem. When I recognised that the boxing for the countertop was too high I brought it to the builder's attention. He told me that it was so, to compensate for the height of the dishwasher. However, he was willing to reduce the intended thickness of the countertop by 1".

Since I realised that it was my fault and I did not know of another solution, I went ahead with his suggestion. However, this height seems wrong and I wondered how hard it was to dig out "1-day" old cement. Now it is about 3 days since the base was cast and 2 days for the counter top (this has steel reinforced bars).

The area that is affected is not too large. The space for the dishwasher is 24" and the countertop length is about 80".

The boxing is still to be removed. How difficult would it be to reconstruct the tops again since the dividing beams are okay? They would only have to be cut down (they also have reinforced steel). At least the horizontal boxing can be reused to hold the "new" counter. Can I DIY?

Another problem is that I am installing a farmsink (he saw it) but I noted that he only gave me about 1" of lip on each side to hold the sink. I do not see any "sitting" area at the back. I am therefore concerned that this structure would not be strong enough to hold that sink. What do you think?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: