Concrete slab?

Old 06-15-05, 09:41 AM
whiteowl
Visiting Guest
Concrete slab?

I recently poured a slab 8' x 7'". That was about a month ago. I believe I'm now ready to seal this pad. However one thing I'd like to do before sealing and thats washing the pad to remove some of the "white look" that now appears. Vinegar and water, muriatic acid and water...any other ideas of what to use and what not to use. I will be using a petroleum based sealer called "Brown coat", gives a finished "wet look" Any help, comments and or rude gestures are welcomed!

Old 06-18-05, 11:42 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing that "white look"....

.....is best accomplished with a mixture of muriatic acid and water diluted to a 5/1 solution (add one part acid into five parts water) and apply/scrub with as stiff push broom. Be sure to wear eye, hand, foot (and possibly respiratory) protection, rinse thoroughly and let dry. Use care in the mixing process and proportions as more acid is definitely not better and can permanently discolor (brown) the concrete if applied in stronger solution. Good luck!

Old 06-30-05, 03:20 PM
solipsist9
Visiting Guest
white vinegar is a much safer and easier alternative to acid. muriatic acid is like using a sledgehammer to drive a nail.
john

Old 07-01-05, 06:23 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another point of reference would be to refer to the recommendations for cleaners on the label for your finishing product.

Old 07-06-05, 01:20 PM
solipsist9
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by chfite
Another point of reference would be to refer to the recommendations for cleaners on the label for your finishing product.
true, but they don't always tell you the best option, as it is usually one of their own products (whether it works or not) that they recommend. i had a tile guy quote me a ridiculous amount of money to use muriatic acid to remove grout haze, which involved evacuating my house, scrubbing the floor, mucho $$, etc., and no guarantees.
all it took was a gallon of white vinegar ($3), a sponge (50 cents), and 30 minutes on my kitchen floor. gee, i wonder why he (or the grout maker) never suggested that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: