Stripping Paint on Bricks

Old 06-24-05, 07:13 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stripping Paint on Bricks

Can some one tell me if there is a really good way to strip latex paint spots (sloppy painting) off of very light grey bricks? If possible, I would like to find some thing that will remove the paint without leaving a stain or disrupt the aged surface of the brick.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Best regards, Dick

Old 06-24-05, 08:36 PM
C
You might try a product called Peel Away. This will remove the paint without dissolving it. In any event, keep after the removal once you start to avoid any of the products or residue starting to dry before you have finished and neutralied any remaining product. Lacquer thinner will remove latex paint, but will cause the solid component to go into suspension enabling it to become trapped in the rough surface of the brick. The thicker the paint, the easier it will be to remove.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-25-05, 06:18 AM
R
Thanks for the reply Chris. It's appreciated.

I'll look into Peel Away to see if it's available in this area (Sterling Heights, MI). Some times, these specialty products are only available regionally. The paint spots here are just small dabs (or brush smears) that got on the brick as the gutters &/or trim were being painted by a sloppy hand who didn't believe in using a paint mask. And, unfortunately they are single coat (thin) so they aren't going to lift readily.

Anything that leaves residue behind is almost worse than leaving the paint spots. And you're right; if the remover doesn't entirely lift the paint from the brick surface, then it can be spread around & made to look worse as one tries to clean off the partially dissolved goop.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: