cement over brick

Old 06-30-05, 03:45 PM
nick22007
Visiting Guest
cement over brick

Can anyone advise me about repairing cement that is over brick. My home is about 40 years old and the cement on the front porch and steps is starting to crack and fall away. This reveals common red brick underneath. How would I go about repairing this? What should I do to prevent this happening again? Is it as simple as spreading concrete over the cement areas that are falling off? Thanks a lot, I'm a complete newbie to this and any advice anyone can offer would be great?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-05, 11:04 PM
What you decide to do depends on what you want things to look like and the amount of work you are willing to take on.

If you want to repair rather than replace, I recommend using a concrete wet saw to cut the bad concrete portions out. Make sure you cut at least two inches behind the failed portions if possible so you get a clean, strong surface to bond to. Construct the forms as needed and use a fiber reinforced mix that is designed to bond to the old concrete surface. How you finish the surface depends on how you want it to look in relation to the existing finish of the porch and steps.

If you choose to replace, then I recommend you rent a small concrete jack hammer and remove the entire concrete surface. You can then form and re-pour a new concrete surface. Or, if you want, you may even create a new surface using Trek, redwood, or other wood product of your choice designed for exterior porch/stair/decking applications.

Best wishes.